dimanche 16 août 2015

Odd whirring sounds - heating/air-con or belts?

Hi folks,
Got an odd issue which I am putting under heating/cooling... ...at a wild guess. The motor is a Clio estate 1.5dCi (2011). Any thoughts welcome as I'd love to be forearmed before giving the Renault garage a ring. I'm not particularly car savvy - sorry.

I had a long drive from Scotland-Wales about a month ago. I'd had the radio on for most of the trip, so I can't rightly say when the issue started, but after slowing down into a town following a long period of driving, I realised there was a noise a bit like an aircraft directly overhead would sound. That's the best I can describe it as: or a loud whirring, like an extra fan was on somewhere. On turning off the engine, the 'noise' slowly turned into a loud juddering sound from some place at the front of the car, like a rotating object brushing against something repeatedly, but this died away after less than 5 seconds. Fan? Happened again the next day - I assumed perhaps stupidly it was something to do with the heating/air con and I have since mostly kept both off.

Since then, again perhaps stupidly, the car has been run often and it a) runs smoothly b) doesn't overheat c) doesn't make any funny engine noises as far as I can hear during regular running or just switching it on with bonnet open and having a listen d) doesn't make any odd noises on going to higher speeds, turning, or braking and e) doesn't seem to have any power/battery issues. The lack of any odd engine noises when I start up makes me think this is air intake/heater/air con related rather than some belt issue at the front.

The noise has only recurred a couple of times. Two days ago it started making mostly the juddering sound whilst slowing down at the very end of a 40 minute drive. Again, I'd had the radio on, so it might have been whirring gently for a wee bit before then. Worryingly, I thought I could smell rubber when I stepped out of the car about 10 seconds later. So, back to a belt issue?

Like I say, any thoughts welcome, it doesn't sound quite like anything belt-related I've heard on YouTube or like any description I've Googled - and it would be nice to go to the garage with a better idea of what I'm trying to describe!

Cheers!


Odd whirring sounds - heating/air-con or belts?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire