lundi 3 août 2015

Radiator Cooling fan Only comes on during AC Dead connection or Resistor fault

Hi guys,

Here with the dodgy clio again, nothing but problems!

I took it for it's MOT after the rebuild for them to fail it on a few things that are minor lights wheels (there brand new...) licence plate lights the usual rubbish they like to throw at you oh and a rear bearing. I noticed they didn't do an emissions test.... that's one of the things I really wanted them to do to make sure that pistons were fine....

Well apparently the damn thing had overheated and they just pushed it out as a fail nice one... Instead of just opening the bonnet and attaching a hose that had come loose draining all the coolant. Funny thing is it must have been all over there sodding floor....

I went through the whole process of filling and bleeding the system to realise that the fan wasn't coming on at all. I was puzzled at first so slapped on the ac and realised that the fan does spin but only when AC is on.

So... drained the car again to get to the fan have to remove the tank its a bugger to get to and it can be removed from the top out don't trust your haynes manual. I tested the Ohms of the fan it's self was getting a reading so it's working even tested it out nothing wrong with the fan it's self could take off a finger that thing.

However the cables that connect to the fan are showing nothing there like dead cables. Ive checked all fuese all relays everything is fine not a problem anywhere. There are no loose cables or anything.. its strange.

There must be a live connection for it to turn on during AC but for that to work it bypasses the resistor all together.

I decided to take the thing out and test it. Was getting nothing from the resistor on it not a dime (I was testing the small resistor inside). So I decided to get two cables and put some more power to it. The copper coil heated up... now forgive me if im wrong but isn't this supposed to happen from the heat of the engine telling the core that it's too hot and to switch the fan on? But if it's hot all the time, then shouldn't my fan be on all the time?!?!?!

I was lead to believe thats how thermostats worked... then again this is all new to me.

I really need someone that knows about these cooling fan resistors and if replacing one would fix the problem. There a bit of a bugger to get hold of on short notice as id have to either get it in the post or off of a scrap car and tbh with you an MK3 isn't the easiest to get hold of around here.

Any help would be great.

Here is a picture of the part im talking about its on the bottom corner of the fan they around £20 2nd hand which is roughly the cost of a whole fan unit lol.... Think ill just back hand someone a fiver for it.


regards, dami3n



Radiator Cooling fan Only comes on during AC Dead connection or Resistor fault

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire