vendredi 31 octobre 2014

Change rear pads on newer Scenic with electric caliper, without using diagnostic comp

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum. Wanted to share my experience I had this morning of changing rear brake pads on a 2009 Scenic with TRW electric calipers, without plugging in a computer.



My friend brought his car down this morning as his rear brake pads were metal to metal. When I took the wheels off I found electric brake calipers (no hand brake cable like on the older scenics). After a quick Google I found out you are supposed to have a Renault diagnostic computer to wind off the caliper. Not being put off by this, I thought i'd have a go anyway.



The first problem I had was to make the parking brake stay off when the engine was off. The way to do this is turn on the ignition with out starting the engine. To do this press the start button without pressing any of the pedals. Then press the brake and release the parking brake by pressing the parking brake button. Now press the start button twice quickly. The ignition should now be off and the parking brake released.



Next I needed to wind off the calpier. For this I had to removed the plastic motor assembly on the back of the caliper, it was held on by 2 torx bolts and needed a bit of a pull to get it off. With the motor assembly off there is now an exposed spline screw on the back of the caliper. This needs to be wound back. If I remember correctly it was clockwise for the o/s and anticlockwise for the nearside. The spline screw was only finger tight and I didn't need my ratchet on the socket. Once it was wound off you can push back the pistions and change the pads as you would with front calipers.



To reassemble, it helps to put a little bit of grease on the lip of plastic motor assembly that fits into the caliper. Once the new pads have been fitted and the motor assembly has been refitted and before you put the wheels on, press the brake pedal repeatedly to push out the brake pistions before you apply the electric hand brake.



Hope this is helpful to someone. Sorry about there being no pictures but I wasn't thinking about posting this while I was doing the job.



DISCLAIMER: If you are going to attempt this yourself make sure you do it safely with axle stands and wheel chocks etc, etc. This was not written as a step by step guide. If you are not familiar with working on brakes, get expert advice.




1 commentaire:

  1. thanks for the write up, this really helped me to change my rear pads on my 2010 grand scenic, after most other advise said that it couldn't be done without a Renault clip tool

    RépondreSupprimer