mardi 28 octobre 2014

Megane PK4 gearbox whine

Hi all, my 2007 RS Megane 175DCi 130k miles is whining in 6th gear and to a less extent 5th. It only whines when I'm on the gas, and only in the top two gears. Also the gearstick moves quite a bit when stationary or slow when I'm on the biting point - but I understand that is fairly normal. Other than the noise it drives fine. I am minimising using 6th gear at all now, and if I keep the speed down the whining isn't so noticable in 5th. I won't be able to fix it for another 6 weeks or so as I'm moving house.



My first question is how long do you think I have if I carry on babying it? And if/when it does fail is it likely to be catastrophic gearbox death or just knock out 5th and 6th gear?



Next question is - repair or replace the gearbox? I can't find anyone selling bearings for the PK4 box. And I'm unsure whether an idiot in a shed with a collection of hammers and crowbars can replace gearbox bearings. There are a couple of used gearboxes on ebay - but obviously a bit of an unknown. How much variation is there on the PK4 gearboxes? I think mine is a PK4-013 - could I use others, or is that asking for trouble?



I'm still undecided whether to change dmf/clutch/slave regardless, or see what they look like when I'm there - guess it depends how much of a pain its to get the gearbox out...



I've read ssashton's excellent write up of his gearbox removal - different car, engine and gearbox, but otherwise identical! I can't believe there is going be any more room in the Megane's engine bay than the laguna :crazy:



ps I've changed the gear oil and it looked very clean. Also changed rear gearbox mount to try help wobbly gearstick - neither made any difference!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire