jeudi 29 mai 2014

Some efforts at personal info security

In relation to Vel's post about telephone scam's in this section.

You can google the topic and see more results.



Im not sure how my landline number was accessed but aside from cold calling.Which would be random in my case since its not listed anywhere publicly>

The most likely source is renault Ireland. That may seem a bit mean and they arent the only public source with whom its listed but they are the co who has used it most recently.



There are of course other possible sources..my isp provider,which is seperate to the actual landline provider..and even if you allways clik the dont disseminate my info or send me any spam boxes, in communications..who knows.



Anyway

1.I try not to use my "best" email address unless absolutely necessary.multiple ones are easy enough to get from the myriad of providers,and its very difficult to keep a single address totally spam free.



Since joining the forums here Ive used 2 different ones already.. just as a precaution.

The trouble is keeping track of the email addresses and the different passwords,but its worth it.



Every 6 months or so I try and change my email address for all online activites, when I remember.



2.Online payments.. I usually go for a purchasable cc such as 3V,it costs slightly more but its a lot easier than switching your "real" bank and cc details if they become compromised.

Its only linked to a user specified email addy or mobile phone number.



3.A mobile number..I only go for pay as you go.. and have never ever registered with a mobile provider.

Ive had a mobille here since the mid 90's and have gone thru at least 10 different mobile phone numbers,actually closer to 20 ;)



The fact that you can be tracked by calls/satellite even just on principle I dont want a name connected to the number+ email.

Disadvantages:

(a)For someone with a home business or small operation,resonably frequent number changes wont look good and isnt great for repeat business :(.



(b)If you dont enter into a mobile contract ,you wont be able to get the latest all singing ,all dancing phone/pad for next to nothing.

Then again the co. wont be able to earn cash selling your info on either.



4.Your pc/tablet/laptop

I never allow remote access to it.I dont care if its my isp provider(they have requested it) or genuine microsoft techs no remote access enabled for me.

Possibly could be a disadvantage if very computer illiterate, but other than that,if there is any real problem..theyre gonna just have to explain the steps., or ill tell them the data.



Viruses,keyloggers,cookies,the recent ie and ebay ..your details are public knowledge scares..not much to do about that except relying on anti scammer software etc., but I try and minimise the "tracking " possibilities.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire