samedi 31 mai 2014

Some very very basic OBD or OBD2 OBDII advice needed

I have a 2000 1.4 Clio 8v sport my son has a 2005 Clio extreme 1.2 16v (Can't really think of 2 cars that are neither sporty nor extreme but that's another story!)



I'm looking to dip my toe into reading (or is it scanning) and, if ever required, resetting OBD or OBD2 OBDII codes and other related stuff but the more I read the more uncertain I get!



Visiting the Renault forums has given me a severe dose of car hypochondria but perhaps that's the subject for another thread?

Some basic questions:



What sort of device should I be looking for?



Where are the plugs located on my clios and will I need adapters? Are they located both in the car and in the engine bay and if so do they perform the same function?

Is there a popular liked or generally accepted reader/resetter which the experts on here use or recommend - there seems to be a lot of (to much!) choice on fleebay?



I'm OK with having to interface with a laptop if necessary.



Is there a scanner which will work on both cars above and recent Clios



Is there a recognised code database available or is that dealer privileged info?



Will any of these devices deal with key related tweaks like re-synchronising a key to the car or brakes or airbag related stuff etc

To future proof myself I don't mind spending a bit more on a device but not £hundreds.



I apologise if some of these questions have already been answered but searching is difficult as most people's posts relate to specific problems.

cheers to all

w




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire