samedi 24 mai 2014

Espace IV suspension longevity

Hi folks



This is a bit of a chat thread. I have had a lot of work done, but as I didn't do it myself I have no pics or advice as to how to do it.



The subject is how long does the Espace IV suspension last, or any other car for that matter?



In my case the answer is not much more than 110 000 miles. We should also remember that the shock absorbers are specified to be changed every 50 000 miles, and I bet no-one does that.



To set the scene I have an 03 V6 Grand Espace. It has lived all its life in the South East of England, West of London. It doesn't rain much here and we have mild winters, hence our roads are under-engineered and after recent winters and funding cut-backs a mass of pot-holes, bumps and dips.



So you will not be surprised that I have had to have a few parts replaced as have so many other drivers.



You may be mildly surprised that the list this years runs to: 4 shock absorbers, two front strut upper bearings, strut protectors, two inner steering joints, one lower ball joint, one rear spring, (obviously 2 would have been better.) This is a lot of money, about a grand to £1500 depending on source of parts and labour.



Has anyone else had to do so much to their "older" car?

Have you been happy to do it?




In my case the cost was a great disappointment, however the affect has been inspiring. The car is quiet and smooth, it does not wobble and roll like it used to. It was always good at absorbing bumps, but now it regains control straight away. Pot-holes and other "features" are barely noticed where before there was a noticeable crash as we hit them. An irritating squeak has disappeared. Wonderful. :d



Also important is high-speed stability, I have yet to attempt a tight undulating bend on the M25 at 90mph with these shocks but I assure you its scary if the car is as stable as a bouncy castle and the concrete wall just 12" away.



I drive hire cars regularly and the Espace beats them into a cocked hat. I drove the Pug 3008 just the other day and its not as smooth or stable.



What are your experiences? :o



Cheers

rog




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire