vendredi 28 août 2015

Megane scenic 1.4 2002 coolant problems, bubbling out of header tank

Hopefully someone can help with this, I've searched and the usual response seems to be head gasket, but although I did think it was at first, not so sure now, if anyone could give their thoughts it would be appreciated. I'll give as many details as poss.

I bought the car 2 days before Xmas as I urgently needed something just to get me over Christmas and New year, and I thought then the head gasket might be gone as the water in the expansion bottle was 'sludgy', but wasn't all that bothered as only needed it for a couple of weeks.

Its now end of August and been topping it up with water every week or so, usually about half a litre a week. However its been getting worse recently, where I'm now up to a litre or more per day, and I'm only doing short journeys, no more than 20-30 miles a day.

There are no water leaks I can see from anywhere except whats mentioned below, and I would see them due to the colour of the water.
The water in the expansion bottle isn't sludgy as first thought, it is a rusty colour though.
The system does not pressurize at all, the pipes are all soft even if its been running for 20-30 minutes, or a few miles of motorway driving.
The heaters work perfectly.
The radiator fan kicks in perfectly well.
There is no water in the oil at all, and the oil is clear, which, if it was the HG, I would have thought there would have been some evidence of water, considering how much its losing.

However, the header tank boils over, I first noticed if I was sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes I would be able to smell the water, then looking behind I would see a trail of brown water behind me. At first I put this down to a symptom of the HG, but thinking again now as there are no other signs of the head failing.
I've sat with the engine running tonight for a few minutes from cold, and within a few minutes, before the fan kicked in and remembering the pipes are still soft, water started seeping out from the header tank, through the top.

Is it possible the pressure cap can be faulty? My thinking, if its faulty then that would obviously explain why waters managing to get out through it, and why the system isn't pressurizing, as, as soon as pressure builds up its just leaking out rather than keeping it in the system, if that makes sense? Can the caps go faulty somehow? If so, can you just buy them at some motor factor store or is it a dealer part does anyone know?

Many thanks for any help :)


Megane scenic 1.4 2002 coolant problems, bubbling out of header tank

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire