vendredi 28 août 2015

Number of issues (overheating, losing power) with 1998 Renault Clio II 1.2L

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted in the wrong section. I've recently been having a number of issues with my 1998 Clio, which I feel are probably related but perhaps its coincidence, maybe you guys can help me out!

About a week ago my car began overheating and I noticed the coolant level was just below minimum so I bought some coolant and topped it up to the maximum.

The car then worked as normal up until last night when I was driving and the "battery charging circuit" warning light came on. I do fast food deliveries and didn't really understand what the warning light meant at the time and so naively kept driving.

Around an hour or so later I was still driving when suddenly the dash lights became dim and a few seconds later the car lost all power and I had to sort of free wheel to the side of the road.

When I tried to turn the ignition again, the car just clicked and the engine didn't turn over. However the interior light, hazard lights etc. began working again. I also noticed both the battery charging circuit light and the oil pressure warning light was on (despite the oil level being fine). The coolant level had also dropped to below minimum again and so this means around 4L of coolant has been used up in a week!

I was then able to jump start the car, starting on the first turn of the key. After driving for a little less than 5 minutes, the same thing happened with the car losing all power and having to free wheel over to the side of the road. Again, I jump started the car and was luckily able to get it home.

I charged the battery overnight with a power pack and this morning the car starts fine with no warning lights on, however I'm assuming this is just temporary until the battery runs out again.

To summarise, the main two problems in my eyes is that the coolant levels are dropping incredibly quick and the engine isn't charging the battery while driving (again, these problems may be related or coincidental..I'm not too sure). I'd really appreciate any help with diagnosing what's wrong with my car, thanks in advance!


Number of issues (overheating, losing power) with 1998 Renault Clio II 1.2L

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire