samedi 26 avril 2014

Clonking noises when starting 2003 Laguna Expression 1.8 16V

Hi,

I have just replaced the clutch and drive shafts on my 2003 Laguna II 1.8 16V petrol car and when I came to start it I got a horrible grating and clonking noises whilst the starter was engaged, but all went quiet once the engine had started. After attempts at re-seating the starter motor, I realised that a bracket had got trapped in the top of the bell-housing so there was a few millimetres gap at the top and I deduced that this was causing the flange behind the starter motor pinion to make contact with the back of the flywheel (there was evidence of scratching on the flange).

Feeling confident that I had found the cause of the problem, I slackened off the bell-housing and cleared the obstruction, making sure that it all seated properly when re-tightened. However, to my dismay, I still get loud clonking noises when the starter motor is turning, though some of the scraping noises have gone.

The starter motor is not in the best condition, with quite a lot of wear on the pinion, but it wasn't making a lot of noise before I started the job. I could get another one, but the noises don't sound like you would expect from a starter motor, even though they only occur whilst the motor is running.

The new clutch is working fine and I only fitted a two piece clutch Kit, so didn't disturb the flywheel.

I would be very grateful for any advice as to what might be making the noise.

George Tod




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire