jeudi 20 novembre 2014

Noisy box

Hello all



My 2000 Espace 3 has developed a noise - which I have traced to the gearbox.



It has, for about two weeks (maybe 250 miles) been making a noise like a stone in a tyre - a knocking type noise, but a dull thud rather than a clicking from a stone. Of course, it wasn't heard above a certain speed, but eventually I worked it out.



Today, the noise is different, sounds like an electric motor being turned by hand...



So I have climbed under the car and have two questions please...



1. Should the right hand drive shaft move in and out easily like mine does, there is nothing at all securing it in to the box, apart from the pushing from the wheel end... There is grease around the "joint" but otherwise it takes very little effort to move it. (No oil comes out when I do...)



2. Do you think this noise is ok - by that I mean do you think that if I fill up the oil level, the noise will go away and really be gone - not just masked?



I ask the second question because I have a long journey to make soon - about 1500 miles - and I don't want to break down. I have had a Clio gearbox seize on me, in the middle of the same route that I am planning, and last year at the same route AND time, I lost the cam belt on my old Espace.



I should add perhaps also that the gearbox area has some oil or grease spillage or leakage - it is oily generally there - but there has never been a drop of anything come out onto the road underneath. This may have come from above, or may have come from the gearbox perhaps. Either way, the rotating driveshaft has spread it about of course!!



Thank you as always.



A




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire