mardi 23 décembre 2014

Advice regarding Renault Clio with Misfire

Hello



Firstly, apologies if this question is asked elsewhere on here. I did do a search (and was pointed here a few times by Google too when getting as far as I am into the problem) but did not find seem to get the information I was looking for from the numerous similar questions I found. Hopefully I did not miss something silly.



I do not have the best knowledge on the internal workings of cars so please bear with me as I try to explain things in the post.



A few weeks ago I was driving home and when close to my house the car started making more noise than the usual car noises one would expect.Also it seemed to be shaking more when idle, and seemed to have a loss of power when driving. I did noticed the shaking is worse when using electricity, for example headlights. Not sure if this makes a difference. However no warning light was shown on the dashboard to indicate the car knew of a problem.



So I searched the internet and results seemed to suggest a misfire, which from my limited knowledge made sense. Results also seemed to blame the coils for this problem, as they seem to be a common issue with this car.



Not an expert in the area, and not wanting to just take the risk and just buy and replace this part I booked my car in for a checkup at a local chain garage.



Initially they looked at my car and came to the same conclusion as the forums I visited and they quoted me a price for new coils. I agreed and they set out to replace them. Unfortunately when they changed them the problems persisted. They ran some more checks and in the end their conclusion was I did have a misfire, and a

compression check had found very low compression on one of the cylinders. They were unable to continue the diagnostics at this point as it was now a problem beyond a simple checkup. I was told to move forward I would have to pay for the engine to be stripped down and was quoted £250 for this (which I think they said was a minimum cost), which I would have to wait till after Christmas to do.



I am now left a little unsure of what to do as a next step. As the company that did the original work is a fairly well known chain, I have faith in what they have done so far.



Does anyone know what the issue may be? I think £250 is reasonable, considering there is probably a lot of work to do, but this seems to be just for them to look into the problem. I have no idea how expensive it may get. Because I do not know how expensive this will be I do not know if it is worth going through with this or not at the moment. Are more issues likely to arise?



A few more details about my car:



I have a 2003(53 reg) Renault Clio Authentique which I have owned for just over a year. It has around 114,000 miles on the clock, and up until now I have had no problems with it (although when I bought it from the dealer there was a check engine light on which I was told was due to a low battery. I was told this would go out when the battery was more charged, which it did after driving for a while).



Would it be recommended to have the engine stripped as suggested, or is it likely to get very costly?



Thanks for any help




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire