lundi 28 septembre 2015

Megane I 2002 - Rough cold starts

Hi everyone,

I have a 1.6 16V Megane I. A few months ago I started noticing that the car didn't start smoothly from cold starts. First of all the start is a bit loud, resembling a diesel, then it runs a bit rough for the first few seconds and then smooths out.
On warm starts it usually fires right up, a lot smoother and seemingly to higher initial revs too. But on some occasions when I turn the key, the engine doesn't turn over right away, as if it's stuck. Holding the starter a little longer and it fires right up.
It had a timing belt + tensioners + water pump swapped this February. I didn't change the the dephaser, but as far as I can remember it did start fine for a few months after the job was done.
I read about the dephaser being an issue, but another possible problem would be a stuck\bad dephaser solenoid.

I took it to the place that changed the belt, which I trust. They said that the dephaser needs to be changed. They said it's not worth doing on a car that's not really worth much and that this issue is just starting to develop. I was wondering if there is something I can do to fix this - such as check the dephaser solenoid or something else.
Would engine oil have any effect on this? I don't know what oil was used before, but I changed it to Liqui Moly 10W40 MOS2 in February and to the regular Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 10W-40 in June as I hoped it might make some sort of difference, which it hadn't. The engine is quite a high mileage one, it has clocked over 184k miles.

I would appreciate any input from you guys.


Megane I 2002 - Rough cold starts

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire